What to expect in a beginner's course
Our Beginner's course is designed to make sure that you are engaged and having fun, while progressively learning some of the basics of HEMA, fencing and longsword.
- Beginner's course runs for six weeks
- Classes are Mondays and Thursdays. The same class is taught on Thursdays and the subsequent Monday.
- Thursday are the primary class for beginners, Mondays are the pickup class. Pickup classes are if you missed monday or want some additional training time.
- Classes start at 7:40pm and last 1 hour (we recommend showing up 10 minutes early). Sparring takes place after class, and is optional for beginners.
- Course start dates are approximately every 6-8 weeks. If registration is open, then the start date has been announced.
Weeks 1-3: Technique & Theory
The first 3 weeks are to introduce you to the weapon, and some of the skills you will use in your fencing career.
- Components of a longsword
- German longsword theory
- Fundamental guards & cuts
- Basic footwork
Equipment needed: None! Just wear athletic clothing and shoes. (At the end of week 3, we strongly recommend purchasing a fencing mask if you think you will continue past the beginners course. You can purchase them through the club.)
Weeks 4-5: Competitive drilling
Weeks 4 & 5 we start understanding some of the fundamentals of non-compliant fencing.
- The 3 segments of a fencing exchange
- Distance & Timing - how to apply your footwork
- Essential parrying drills and the 4 openings.
- What is a 'quality' attack and why it's important.
Equipment needed: Athletic clothing. Safety glasses will be provided to those who did not purchase a mask. Lacrosse, Hockey, or well padded work gloves are recommended, in case of incidental strikes.
Week 6: Sparring games
Week 6 you will spar, with steel, for your very first time!
- Coached sparring - you will spar against an instructor, and then we will discuss strengths, where we can improve, and potential fighting styles for you going forward.
- Sparring games - Sparring often times requires direction, and we will show you some of the sparring games we play to improve specific skills.
Equipment needed: Athletic clothing. Bring your own mask if you purchased one. Additional sparring equipment will be provided.
Register for Classes
Beginner's classes run in six week cycles, and we limit them to 15 students. Reserve now, and email us for when classes start!
You will be taken to our membership platform - just click on 'memberships' in the navigation to get started.
Have questions before you register? Feel free to contact us
Blunt force members get 33% off the beginners course.